As part of succession planning within our forestry department, we are recruiting an experienced Forester to help manage the Estates 1400 ha of commercial and amenity woodlands.
This role has now been filled and we are no longer seeking applicants.
Forester will be part of Floors Farming and report to the Forestry Manager.
The estate has been part of the Scottish Borders since 1358. Everything we do, is to ensure that we continue into the next millennium. Through our longevity we have developed deep connections with the land and its people and we are guided by the principle that our operations benefit the health of the environment and the prosperity of local communities. We are not just enduring; we will constantly innovate and grow to maximise the potential of the region and land under our care so we will be a source of inspiration and a model estate for the 21st Century.
It takes a certain sort of person to flourish in such a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment like Floors Castle. We look for talented, self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals who will be able to share our passion for providing a warm welcome and amazing experiences.
Custodians, Community, Authenticity, Drive & Warmth
To understand, improve and develop our natural, heritage and built environments, allowing them to flourish as sustainable businesses capable of making significant contributions to a vibrant Borders community, now and for generations to come.
Purpose of the Role
- Assist the Forestry Manager with day to day management of the Estate woodland portfolio.
- Carry out planting and maintenance of the Estate woodlands to a high standard.
- Identify and plan work requirements.
- Tree/hedge planting, establishment and maintenance.
- Supervision of contractors.
- Estate maintenance (windblown trees and branches, drainage, fencing).
- Identifying and planning of work. Liaise with Forestry Manager.
- Roadside tree surveying.
- Risk assessments.
Hours of work
39 hours per week. A work vehicle will be provided. The salary offered will relate to the experience of the candidate.
Qualities you will posses
- Passion for what you do and a general interest in the countryside.
- Positive and friendly with a “can-do attitude”.
- Flexible approach to work and self-motivated.
- Ability to prioritise and organise work programmes.
- Ability to work individually or within a small team.
- Excellent communicator.
What do you need to be successful?
- Experience of extensive outdoor work, including on difficult terrain and vegetation.
- Full UK driving licence.
- 5 years of working experience in forestry.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of tree planting and maintenance from commercial conifer / broadleaved plantations to individual parkland/amenity trees and hedge planting.
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a small team and to use own initiative.
- NVQ Level 2 in Forestry.
- Chainsaw certificate (maintenance & felling trees up to 380mm).
- Pesticide’s certificate PA1/PA6.
- Ability to assess the condition and safety of roadside trees. Identification of diseases and fungi and understanding of how decay and fractures can affect tree safety. (Training can be given).
- Basic knowledge of H&S requirements for commonplace forestry operations both forest maintenance and harvesting. (Training can be given).
- Basic knowledge and experience of timber harvesting from commercial conifer plantations to individual hardwood felling.
How to Apply
If this post interests you, please send us your CV together with a short note saying why you would be ideal for the job.
For further information please contact: [email protected]