Horticulture Modern Apprentice
As an Apprentice Gardener you will work alongside the head gardener and other members of the estates team ensuring that the Grounds and Gardens of Floors Castle are maintained to the highest standard.
As an Apprentice Gardener, you will work alongside the head gardener and other members of the estates team ensuring that the Grounds and Gardens of Floors Castle are maintained to the highest standard. You will be part of preparing the gardens for public access and will assist in the maintenance of all parkland, policies and gardens across the estate. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to gain hands-on gardening experience whilst working towards your qualification.
The estate has been part of the Scottish Borders since 1358. Everything we do, is to ensure that we continue into the next millennium. Through our longevity we have developed deep connections with the land and its people and we are guided by the principle that our operations benefit the health of the environment and the prosperity of local communities. We are not just enduring; we will constantly innovate and grow to maximise the potential of the region and land under our care so we will be a source of inspiration and a model estate for the 21st Century.
It takes a certain sort of person to flourish in such a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment like Floors Castle. We look for talented, self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals who will be able to share our passion for providing a warm welcome and amazing experiences.
Custodians, Community, Authenticity, Drive & Warmth
To understand, improve and develop our natural, heritage and built environments, allowing them to flourish as sustainable businesses capable of making significant contributions to a vibrant Borders community, now and for generations to come.
Purpose of the Role
- Modern Apprenticeships (MA) offer new entrants to the labour market the chance of paid employment combined with the opportunity to undertake training relevant to the occupational area. This role will include the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualifications that helps to start a career without having to study full-time.
- To maintain the excellent standards and reputation of Floors Castle and Gardens.
- To champion the Roxburghe Core Values to both the internal and external customer base.
- Working across all areas of the estate and public gardens but specifically within the walled garden over 24 months.
- Working towards A modern apprenticeship in Horticulture at SCQF Level 6 with one day a week at Borders college in Newtown St Boswell to support your practical training.
- Hands on learning with the gardens team in all areas of horticulture in a high-level public garden from growing vegetables, planting herbaceous borders, propagation and glass-house work, plant husbandry as well as working in the larger estate with the grounds maintenance team cutting grass and estate work in forestry and the larger estate.
- There will also be work dressing areas of the castle with plants and flowers during special events.
- Skills attained in machinery use such as strimmers, mowers and hedge trimmers as well as larger specialised machinery. Training in proper use of hand tools such as secateurs, shears, pruning tools etc.
Hours of work
Office operational hours. (between 9am – 5.30pm) for a total of 37.5 hours per week. Occasional overtime may be required.
Place of Work
- Floors Castle Walled Garden, Roxburghe Estate and elsewhere as necessary.
- It will be a necessary requirement of the job to support in other areas of the business as appropriate.
Pay and Benefits
£8,303.74 – £14,964.98 per year (depending on SCQF level and age), auto-enrolment pension entitlement. Discounts at Floors Castle Enterprise outlets.
Qualities you will posses
- An ability to study work-based horticulture at SCQF level 6
- Keen interest in horticulture and working within a walled garden and a country estate
- Able to work physically and in all weathers
- Keen to learn and have an inquiring mind
- Motivated with a pro-active mind set
- Excellent time management
- A team player with the willingness to learn new skills
- Good communication skills
What do you need to be successful?
- Great attention to detail
- Enjoy working as part of a team.
- Excellent planning and organisational ability
- A highly adaptable and flexible approach to work
- Highly motivated with a can-do attitude
- Remains calm and performs well under pressure
- Prior experience of working in a Gardening or Horticultural environment may be helpful
How to Apply
If this post interests you, please send us your CV together with a short note saying why you would be ideal for the job.
Please send your CV and cover letter to: [email protected]
The closing date is the 16th of August 2021.