The Broken Book-Mythical Monster Hunt
Due to popular demand, we are extending our Monster Hunt and it will be open this weekend (1st-3rd of September)
John Ker, 3rd Duke of Roxburghe lived in Floors Castle until his death in 1804, over 220 years ago. Duke John was a great collector of many things, but his favourite thing to collect, his obsession, was books.
He had books on History, politics, and geography. He had books of poetry and stories from all around the world. His book collection filled entire rooms in the castle, and he had over ten thousand different books that he had collected throughout his life. In the years following the duke’s death, most of the library was sold, but there was one book, a very special book the Liber monstrorum magnus or ‘The Great Book of Monsters’, that was never accounted for. This book was very old indeed, and very valuable, and contained ancient knowledge on how to defeat and imprison many dangerous and terrible monsters.
Recently, around the Gardens and Grounds of Floors Castle, many of these monsters have been spotted. Somehow, they have escaped from the book, and we need your help to find them, capture them, and imprison them once again safely within its pages…
Our Mythical Monster Hunt will open on the 7th of July and run 7 days a week until the 31st of August, 10am until 5pm – last trail admission 4pm. No pre-booking necessary, online tickets on sale now!
Everyone (adults & children) will need a ticket to participate on the Mythical Monster Hunt. Children’s tickets are £2 and adults will need either a valid Annual Pass, Castle Gardens & Grounds Broken Book Ticket (£18 online or £19.50 onsite) or a Gardens & Grounds Broken Book Ticket (£8).
All online bookings please enter by main Golden Gates (TD5 7RL), and be sure to pick up your trail booklets from our Gate Ticket Kiosk on arrival-you will need this to take part in the trail.
*Our adult Annual Pass Holders will receive unlimited free entry to the Mythical Monster Hunt as part of our Annual Pass scheme, however ALL children taking part in the trail will require a trail ticket.
Monster Hunt tickets do not need to be booked in advance, tickets will be available to purchase on the day from both our Garden Ticket Kiosk and Golden Gates Ticket Kiosk.
Here are a few tips and information for you to remember when you visit our Monster Hunt…
- Open from the 7th of July – 31st of August
- Open 7 days a week, 10am- 5pm (last entry to trail 4pm)
- Pre-booking is not required
- Tickets can be purchased online and at both of our Ticket Kiosks on arrival.
- Additional support needs sessions – run on Wednesdays and Sundays from 10am-noon and continue on throughout the event, which runs to August 31. In these sessions, the audio of the monsters will be turned down to a less intrusive level and participants will be able to download and print off guides from the link below to the experience before they visit.
- Adult Annual Pass Holders will receive unlimited free entry to the Mythical Monster Hunt as part of our Annual Pass scheme, however ALL children taking part in the trail will require a trail ticket.
- Adventurers are to bring along a pencil to fill out their Activity Booklet, pencils will be on sale if required.
- Please be respectful of the main Monster Hunt displays, they are not to be played with and are there for all to enjoy for the duration of the trail.
- There will be overflow parking in place opposite the Terrace Café that can be used at busy times.
- The Monster Hunt is mainly flat and winds it’s way through the pebbled paths of our Walled Garden, grassy lawns and woodland tracks and will be suitable for most good off-roading buggies, prams and wheelchairs.
- Dogs on leads are very welcome on our Monster Hunt, we have water points at both the Terrace and Courtyard Cafes, where there is also outdoor seating for you dine at so your dog needn’t be shut in the car.
- This is NOT a trail like previous years – this is a Monster HUNT, there will be NO arrows telling you where to go, you will be given a map in your Monster Hunt Booklet on arrival. You must use your map to navigate your way around the Gardens and Woodland to find the Mythical Monsters.
- The Mythical Monster Hunt is aimed at children aged 4 – 10. Obviously we realise every child is different and other age groups will enjoy themselves also.
“A great way to entertain the children this summer holiday if your living/coming to stay in the Borders, lots of excellent activities. Thanks Floors Castle for another excellent trail.” – Legerwood Scotland
“Hats off to all of those that organised the Monster Hunt. Little ones and big ones had the best day. All of the games and set up was fantastic! AND the food……..Thank you! We always have fun and enjoy all the events. This one in particular was one of the best as my grown-up nephew loved it too and joined in all of the games with my daughters. What a brilliant day out we all had.” – Gemma
“Our children are older than the intended age range for this hunt, but they both loved it. Engaging and fun. It was our first time visiting Floors Castle and we were all very impressed – with everything!” 🤩 – Katherine
“I wanted to write this review to praise the children’s mythical beasts trail in the grounds. One of the best such trails we’ve done. We took 5 kids ranging from 8 to 15 and they all had a great day. A lot of thought and time has clearly gone in to making a fun trail with a range of tasks that all the kids enjoyed, even the 15 year old.” – Trip Advisor – ruairidhk2023
Monster Hunt tickets cannot be booked in advance for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of September, tickets will be available to purchase on the day from both our Garden Ticket Kiosk and Golden Gates Ticket Kiosk.
7th July until 3rd of September 2023
10am - 5pm